Friday, March 19, 2010

Abiding Together

This homily was heard at the marriage of Maddie Lloyd and John Kamphaus who were married Friday March 19, 2009 at half-past four o'clock. Congratulations John and Maddie, may God keep you and bless you. Mazel tov!

Gospel Reading: Selected verses from John 15:1-17

I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinegrower. Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete.


This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name. I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another.

This is the gospel of the Lord,
Thanks be to God.

Homily—Abiding Together


I believe that there is nothing more wonderful in life than connections, especially connections between people. Our reading from the gospel is a glorious example of connection. The fruit of the vine only grows when the vine is properly tended. The grape only becomes ripe when the fruit abides in the branch, the branch in the vine, and the vine in the soil. Nurtured by the source of all that gives life, through God’s ordained order, these connections bring about all life as the Lord intended.

Scripture tells us when we abide in Christ we will bear much fruit, the best fruit. We hear that just as the Father loves the Son, so too the Son loves us. We hear that when we abide in Christ we become his disciples. He said these things to us so that his joy may be in us and that our joy may be complete.

The Lord tells us, “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name. I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another.”

When we abide in the soils of God, we have all that we need. And when a single vine abides in the ground, its fruit can multiply beyond imagination, continuing the process of life in the outstretched arms of the everlasting Lord.

And friends, when two vines are grafted together, abiding together one into another, what they form is far greater than any single vine produces on its own. Abiding in one another, the fruit of the vine blooms in abundance; an abundance of love, peace, and grace. We receive this gift from the Lord so that we may love one another. Today this is what John and Maddie have invited us to celebrate.

Today as these two vines come together, grafted to one another, we come to bear witness as Maddie and John establish a covenant, a covenant to abide in one another and in God. They come to abide together as the fruit abides in the branch, the branch in the vine, and the vine in the soil. And as their family and friends, we come together as the fruit of the vine, connected to one another in the extravagant and gracious joy of God’s love; fruit that by God becomes the most extraordinary wine.

Abiding, our lives and our faith are nourished in the love of the Lord Jesus. There is no greater love than when we abide in God’s love. John and Maddie, abide in Christ and abide in one another. There is no greater love than this.

May the grace and peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you both now and forever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment