Sunday, March 18, 2012

Wondrous Love

This sermon was heard at the First Presbyterian Church in Marshall, Texas on Sunday March 18, 2012, the 4th Sunday in Lent.


Podcast Powered By Podbean


Numbers 21:4-9
Psalm 107:1-3, 17-22
Ephesians 2:1-10
John 3:14-21

May the words of my mouth and the meditations of our hearts be acceptable to you, O Lord, our rock and our redeemer.  Amen

The hymn we just finished singing is one of my favorites. One of the reasons I like it is because to sing it I can drop my voice into one low bass note and just keep singing. The fewer notes I have to hit, the less time I spend singing out of key. More than that of course, the lyrics fill me with a sense of joy that I cannot explain. These simple words written nearly 200 years ago say what I have spent years proclaiming from the pulpit.

What wondrous love is this? O my soul, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this which caused the Lord of bliss
To bear the heavy cross for my soul, for my soul
To bear the heavy cross for my soul.[1]

You’ll notice an asterisk, star key, in the last couple of lines. This notice tells us that the original text didn’t say “heavy cross.” It said “dreadful curse.” I can’t tell you why the committee that put together the hymnal decided to make this change. This I will say: If it were not for the dreadful curse of sin which only Jesus could bear, he would not have needed to bear the heavy cross for my soul.

What kind of love is it that bears the heavy cross for my soul? What kind of love is it that bears the dreadful curse for my soul? It is the love of God who so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. It’s as easy as that.

I guess I could wrap up the sermon with that and we could sing some more songs, but I haven’t clued Georgia or Al[2] in on that plan and I do have something to add.

Our call to worship began with a declaration of Thanksgiving to the Lord our God. This snippet from Psalm 107 begins, “We give you thanks, O God, for you are good; your steadfast love endures forever.”[3] This “steadfast love” has a special translation. Actually, the Hebrew word “ds,x,” (pronounced hesed) cannot be directly translated in English.

The word means “love,” that’s for certain. But it means much, much more. Other translations use the words phrases like “steadfast love” or “faithful love.”[4] Others use words like “lovingkindness”[5] (yes, as one word) and “mercy.”[6] Still others don’t bother to say anything more than simply “love.”

But this word can also mean things like faithfulness, goodness, and graciousness. This kind of love points to the proof of God’s mercy.[7] Other sources say it points to evidence of God’s grace.[8] Just looking at the witness of translation and interpretation, this love, this ds,x,, is truly a wonder of God.

Paul’s words to the Ephesians say more about the scope and wonder of God’s love. Paul writes that while we were dead in transgressions, to sin, God who is rich in mercy made us alive in Christ. It is by grace that we are saved. There is nothing we can do to earn this salvation. It’s funny; I’m of the opinion that whenever we try to earn our salvation we invariably do things that actually thwart God’s work in the world.

So much for what I think, let‘s get back to Paul’s epistle to the people at Ephesus.

While we were dead in transgressions, Christ raised us to new life, eternal life. This is not a life to be lived after we pass from this world. No, there is still sin in this world-this is true, but Paul says the life in Christ is here for us today.

Through the grace of God, we were made alive together with Christ and raised up with him and seated with him in the heavenly places. This is done to show the incomparable riches of God’s grace expressed in his kindness to us through Jesus. It is by grace through faith and not by ourselves that we have been saved.

That last sentence is something that needs to be remembered, “It is by grace through faith and not by ourselves that we have been saved.” We have been saved. It’s not we will nor is it we were. We have been. By the actions of the Father and the Son, events that happened two-thousand years ago, we have been saved. The actions taken in the past have repercussions into the future. A future that is our present and a future that is still our future.

The world is set for us to do God’s good works through the power of the Holy Spirit. By the work of Christ this power is available to us to do what Paul’s calls, the good works God prepared in advance for us to do.

Friends, this is the reason for our salvation. This is the reason for the Gospel. To respond to our salvation, freely given by Christ on the cross, we are called to do the good works which God prepared in advance for us to do.

To God and to the Lamb, I will sing, I will sing,
To God and to the Lamb I will sing,
To God and to the Lamb who is the Great I AM,
While millions join the theme, I will sing, I will sing,
While millions join the theme, I will sing,

We sing unto the lamb because he came so that all who believe may have eternal life. Being saved through grace gives us something to sing about. We don’t have to work to earn the love of the Heavenly Father, the promise of God’s love has been with creation since the beginning and was shown in full flower on the cross. This leads us to something important, God’s work on the cross was not human work; it was God’s work. Even death on the cross was not human works, it was God’s. Indeed, God did not send his Son into the world to condemn it but to save it.

So know this, this may be one of the most difficult principles of scripture, God did not come to condemn the world. God did not come to condemn you or me. God came to save us all. God came to reconcile the Holy Triune Lord with all of creation. This is important for at least three reasons I can think of.

For one, if you listen to some folks they’ll tell you that you don’t deserve God’s love. It doesn’t take long watching the wrong folks on TV before you can believe that God wants nothing more than to smite your very being from the face of the earth because of your sin. Well if that was the way it worked then the only person on earth would be a carpenter from Nazareth asking “where’d everybody go?”

Again, we can’t earn God’s love. We don’t deserve God’s love. That’s what makes it a gift. By God’s work on the cross we have all received the gift. The only question that remains is whether we’re going to open and enjoy the gift or not.

Next, we tend to not believe it. I get this one, I understand this one more than you can imagine. I have had a lot of trouble in this life believing God’s love is for me. Sure, I see other people bathe in God’s love, but there were days when I wondered if that love was meant for me too. And on too many days I concluded the answer was “no.”

This is another lie. God’s love is meant for you and for me too. I don’t believe I’m so different from some who will hear and read this sermon. Some people will say to themselves, “Maybe for you, but God’s love is not for me.” Trust me, it’s true, God’s love is for us all.

On the other hand, don’t trust me. As a man, I can only point to works and as we’ve said, works can be worthless. Works can be misunderstood even in the easiest times. Open yourself to God’s saving grace, the grace that you have already been given. Not believing is like taking a shower in a raincoat. You may be in the midst of the cool, refreshing, cleansing water, but you aren’t going to get wet.

Finally, we don’t seem to act like we have been reconciled with God from time to time. There are times in traffic that we offer gestures featuring only 20% of our fingers when we wave our hands. There are times when we insult one another because we don’t understand one another. There are incidents of genocide which prove we don’t live fully into the gift we have been given.

But those who do what is true come to the light. We don’t live in it perfectly, and won’t on this side of glory. Still, we are called to do what is true so that it may be clearly be seen that our deeds are done in God.

There are some things that are unavoidable for the preacher. John 3:16 is one of them.  Since I have been in the pulpit, I have preached this piece from John’s gospel three times. Today makes four. So now for the fourth time, I share this thought on this most beloved of all bible passages. Page ten of the current edition of the Gideon Bible contains this in the introduction:

“There is a verse in the Bible which has been translated into more than 1,100 languages.  It tells of One who loved us with an everlasting love.  The verse is here recorded in 27 languages of the world which are understood by more than three-quarters of the earth’s population.  That verse is John 3:16.”[9] 

The introduction continues with this verse translated into languages ranging from Afrikaans to Vietnamese.  These simple words have a tremendous impact on people everywhere.  “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life.” 

Some call this “the Gospel in a nutshell.”  Others call it a confessional summary of the Gospel.  Believers and unbelievers alike have a special connection to this verse.  For many, this verse is seen as the answer.  It is an answer, the answer to the question of what God’s steadfast love looks like, and one of the things it looks like is shown in our responses.

I have been asked about doing a good old fashioned altar call in worship. Well, I must admit I am not comfortable with that. A part of it is my upbringing. Part of it is my training. Part of it is our polity which requires session approval of baptisms. Part of it is that it is not in our practice to have water in the font every Sunday.

Part of it is that we Presbyterians believe what Paul teaches the Ephesians, “There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all”[10] so the baptized don’t need multiple baptisms.

So if I’m not going to have an altar call today, if I’m not going to invite folks to come down to the river, there is something I will do. I invite everyone here today to dedicate themselves to respond to John 3:16, the “gospel in a nutshell,” with John 3:21. I ask everyone here today to dedicate themselves to do what is true so that it may be clearly seen. I ask us all to do good deeds that all will know are done in God.

If you want to say, “I’m too old,” I say to you that the wisdom of your walk with the Lord has not gone out of fashion. If you want to say “I am too young,” I say to you in a couple of months you’ll have your chance to lead worship. You will have your chance to read scripture or song or read in worship. If you want to say, “I’m too busy,” I say to you “Really?” What is more important than serving God? Yes, some of us are very, very busy, but is anyone too busy? Is it impossible to spare an hour? To be too busy for God is to be too busy for eternal life.

And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on,
And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing on,
And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing and joyful be
And through eternity I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on
And through eternity I’ll sing on.

Speaking of eternal life, to be free from death is to live fully. To be free from death is eternal life. It is meant to begin in this world and continue to the next. Through eternity let’s all sing on.

[1] “What Wondrous Love is This” set to the tune of “Wondrous Love.” Lyric from Walker’s Southern Harmony, 1835. The tune is an American Folk Hymn from 1811. Information from The Presbyterian Hymnal (1990) #85.
[2] Our pianist and song leader respectively.
[3] Kirk, James G., “When We Gather, A Book of Prayers for Worship, Revised Edition, For Years A, B, and C.” Louisville, KY, Geneva Press, 2001, page 173.
[4] New Living Translation
[5] New American Standard Bible
[6] Jerusalem Publication Society Tanaak
[7] ds,x,, HALOT Lexicon, Entry 3053
[8] ds,x, Halliday Lexicon, entry 2710
[9] Holy Bible, King James Version, Gideon International, page 10.
[10] Ephesians 4:4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment